The winery and offices are accommodated in a grand 16th century edifice, originally built for the Austrian Imperial post coaches and it also housed the ‘Schwarzer Adler’ inn belonging to Martin Foradori’s great aunt. Josef Hofstätter made his first wines in the inn’s cellars. His nephew Konrad Oberhofer and wife Luise took over the estate in 1942 and it was he who recognised the potential inherent in vineyards.
The cellar in which the wine is stored and matured is ingeniously ventilated and maintained at ideal temperatures. Shafts capture the katabatic wind from Tramin’s home mountain, the Roen to ventilate the cellars and keep the air humidity at ideal levels, while a multi-layered "transpiring" external and internal insulating system ensures that the temperature is kept constant.